Pc Maintanence Chapter 1 - Introduction to Computers.
PC MAINTANENCE CHAPTER 1 INTRODUCTION TO COMPUTERS. OBJECTIVES: 1.1 Intro to Computer Component Input Processing Output Input and Output 1.2 The types of computer system 1.3 Identifying Computer Components 1.4 Maintenance Tools 1.1 - INTRODUCTION TO COMPUTER COMPONENT
A computer system has three main components: 1. Hardware The computer itselfand its associated equipment 2. Software The instructions that tell a computer what to do. (program). 2. People Programmer, user A computer system consists of 4 main areas of data handling :1. Input
2. Processing 3. Output 4. Storage 1. Input devices Take data in machine-readable form and send it to the processing unit. The input device : keyboard, mouse, scanners
2. The processor (CPU) manipulate input into the information wanted. executes computer instructions. 3. Output devices make the processed data available for use. (information) Output -a screen monitor (softcopy) and a printer (hardcopy).
PROCESSING INPUT CU ALU STORAGE (Primary:Register) STORAGE (Primary:Main Memory) Computer Architecture STORAGE
(secondary) OUTPUT 1. Input Input is the data raw facts you put into the computer system for processing. Data entry can be in writing, speaking, pointing, or even by just looking at the data. Some example of the input devices are: keyboard. mouse. Scanners Joystick
Bar code reader Floppy / CD / USB drive. 2. Processing responsible for transforming raw data into processed information. CPU unit interpret and execute program instructions (ALU), as well as communicate with the input, output, and storage devices (CU). Some example of the processor are: Intel Pentium and Celeron series AMD Athlon and Duron series IBM Cyrix series
3. Output Output is raw data processed into usable information. Two common output devices are screens (softcopy) and printers (hardcopy). For both softcopy and hardcopy, the output can be categorized into either text documents, graphic or multimedia output. Some example of the output devices are: printer monitor. plotter speaker
4. Storage 2 types : primary and secondary 1. Primary storage store data temporarily until the data has been processed and been sent to output device or secondary storage. Examples : Register (reside in CPU) and Main Memory (outside of CPU; RAM) volatile. The speed of this storage is faster than secondary storage. 2. Secondary storage additional storage separate from memory.
Slow than primary storage but has a large capacity than primary storage. 1.2 THE TYPES OF COMPUTER SYSTEM Computer are categorized based on differences in size, speed, processing capabilities, and price. The 6 major categories of computers are 1. Personal computers 2. Handheld computers 3. Internet appliances 4. Mid-range servers
5. Mainframes 6. Supercomputers 1. Personal Computer 1. Desktop (Tower model, All in one, Workstations) o Designed fit entirely on or under a desk or table. (not portable) 2. Notebook o portable personal computer small enough fit on user lap.
2. Handheld computers o PDA (personal digital assistant) 3. Internet appliances o o a computer with limited functionality. The purpose is to connect to the Internet. 4. Mid-range servers
o more powerful and larger than a workstation computer 5. Mainframes o a large, expensive, very powerful computer that can handle hundreds or thousands of connected users simultaneously. 6. Supercomputers o the fastest, most powerful, and most expensive category of computer.
1.3 INDENTIFYING COMPUTER COMPONENTS casing motherboard processor power supply memory module/RAM Drive - hard disk drive floppy drive CD drive IDE and FDC cable Interface card
video/display card sound card Peripherals (external) - keyboard, mouse, speaker, printer, microphone and monitor. External (outside from computer casing) = pheriperals monitor - now with flat and LCD screen. Keyboard - cordless or traditional chassis - contains central processing unit (CPU) mouse - also available as cordless, IR or traditional USB (Universal Serial Bus) Hubs/ports - hot
swappable Printer Floppy disk drive Internal (install inside computer casing) Hardisk Motherboard the main circuit of the computer
system. CPU Expansion slots - to add cards for various devices, including memory chips Power Supply - connection to electrical power for system. Clock - battery powered, keeps track of date and time Cables - to connect floppy drives, hard drives, and other devices. Network card
graphics card video card RAM chips Cooling fan(s) for CPU. Failure to cool may result in the destruction of your hard drive. 1.4 MAINTENANCE TOOLS 1. Hardware toolkits To open up a computer 2. ESD toolkits - (Electrostatic Discharge) 3. Spare parts save technicians time.
1. Hardware Toolkits Phillip Screwdrivers: to open up most of the screws in pc. Flat Blade Screwdriver: to open up some of the screws in pc. Needle-Nose Pliers: These are useful for grasping small items and for removing and replacing jumpers on circuit boards.
Wire Snips: A pair of wire snips for cutting wire and stripping insulation. 1. Hardware Toolkits (continue) A Small Flashlight: Very useful; the insides of PC boxes are quite dark. Tweezers: Or even better, a part retriever. A retriever is like a tiny set of retractable claws with a spring-loaded handle. A Large Crowbar: For making adjustments to stubborn
hardware. 1. Hardware Toolkits (continue) A Roll of Black Electrical Tape: Used for wrapping wire ends and insulating components. A Can of Compressed Air: Very handy for cleaning things hands-free and without using any hazardous liquids. A Soft, Lint-Free Cloth: For cleaning the monitor and
other components. Cable tied: to dressing up the cables inside the computer. 2. Electrostatic Discharge Tools help user not to accidentally damage the computer components with a static discharge. ESD Wrist Strap: This is more of a safety device than a tool; it is used to greatly reduce the chances of static damage to components. ESD mats: the technician have to step on it while doing the maintenance process.
ESD bag: use to pack the components before moving it to another place. 3. Spare parts Screws Expansion Card Inserts Drive Faceplates Mounting Kits Cables Keyboard, Mouse, 3.5" Floppy Drive
Om strängar finns, är de så små att vi inte har tillräckligt noggranna sonder ännu. Dessutom, strängar tillhör ett 11-dimensionellt universum! Därför är direkta experiment osannolika. Varför skulle vi inte se extra dimensioner? Ett tåg rör sig längs en dimension...
Elections to step-up the Tax Basis to FMV of Investor's interest in the QOF on the date of the sale or exchange. Significant benefit but must hold long term. The result is no Gain on the sale of the Investor's...
ICE meeting, Washington DC, 2001 Specific Agreements, The split of TBI conventional definition into two rows in the matrix brought about discussions with CDC NCIPC, the American Academy of Neurology and others on TBI definition and separation into several levels...
Much of the battlefield is covered in crops up to 4 feet high. Three major roads intersect the battlefield: the Old Roman road running northeast-southwest just east of Marbais, the Namur-Nivelles road running east-west through Sombreffe, and the Charleroi-Gembloux road...
Visit - its.uq.edu.au. Email - [email protected] As a RHD student you are able to access IT support the same as UQ staff. When you contact the ITS Service Desk, have the following information ready: Your username - if you don't...
What is on offer now? £9m training department in Engineering, Renewables and Construction, delivering: Engineering, Plumbing, Gas, Solid Fuels, Fabrication and Welding, Construction, Refrigeration and Air Conditioning, Electrical and Electronics Installations, Instrumentation, Engineering Design (CAD/CAM), Ground Source Heat, Bio Fuels...
c. Cockpit display of traffic information to conduct visual operations in instrument meteorological conditions. d. Increased capacity at non-towered airports in instrument meteorological conditions. e. Low visibility air and ground movements to CAT-II/III minima with minimal ground infrastructure. a. Reduced...
Ready to download the document? Go ahead and hit continue!