Transcription

NPS Form 10-9001024-0018OMB No.United States Department of the InteriorNational Park ServiceNational Register of Historic Places Registration FormThis form is for use in nominating or requesting determinations for individual properties and districts. See instructions in National Register Bulletin,How to Complete the National Register of Historic Places Registration Form. If any item does not apply to the property being documented, enter"N/A" for "not applicable." For functions, architectural classification, materials, and areas of significance, enter only categories and subcategoriesfrom the instructions.1. Name of PropertyHistoric name: Church of the EpiphanyOther names/site number: La Iglesia de La EpifaniaName of related multiple property listing:Latinos in Twentieth Century California MPS(Enter "N/A" if property is not part of a multiple property listing2. LocationStreet & number: 2808 Altura StreetCity or town: Los Angeles State: California County: Los AngelesNot For Publication:Vicinity:3. State/Federal Agency CertificationAs the designated authority under the National Historic Preservation Act, as amended,I hereby certify that thisnomination request for determination of eligibility meetsthe documentation standards for registering properties in the National Register of HistoricPlaces and meets the procedural and professional requirements set forth in 36 CFR Part 60.In my opinion, the property meets does not meet the National Register Criteria. Irecommend that this property be considered significant at the followinglevel(s) of significance:nationalstatewidelocalApplicable National Register Criteria:ABCDSignature of certifying official/Title:DateState or Federal agency/bureau or Tribal GovernmentIn my opinion, the propertycriteria.meetsdoes not meet the National RegisterSignature of commenting official:DateTitle :State or Federal agency/bureauor Tribal Government1

United States Department of the InteriorNational Park Service / National Register of Historic Places Registration FormNPS Form 10-900OMB No. 1024-0018Church of the EpiphanyLos Angeles, CaliforniaName of PropertyCounty and State4. National Park Service CertificationI hereby certify that this property is:entered in the National Registerdetermined eligible for the National Registerdetermined not eligible for the National Registerremoved from the National Registerother (explain:)Signature of the KeeperDate of Action5. ClassificationOwnership of Property(Check as many boxes as apply.)Private:XPublic – LocalPublic – StatePublic – FederalCategory of Property(Check only one ns 1-6 page 2

United States Department of the InteriorNational Park Service / National Register of Historic Places Registration FormNPS Form 10-900OMB No. 1024-0018Church of the EpiphanyLos Angeles, CaliforniaName of PropertyCounty and StateNumber of Resources within Property(Do not include previously listed resources in the ructuresobjects1TotalNumber of contributing resources previously listed in the National Register 06. Function or UseHistoric Functions(Enter categories from instructions.)RELIGION: religious facilitySOCIAL: meeting hallCurrent Functions(Enter categories from instructions.)RELIGION: religious facilitySOCIAL: meeting hallSections 1-6 page 3

United States Department of the InteriorNational Park Service / National Register of Historic Places Registration FormNPS Form 10-900OMB No. 1024-0018Church of the EpiphanyLos Angeles, CaliforniaName of PropertyCounty and State7. DescriptionArchitectural Classification(Enter categories from instructions.)LATE VICTORIAN: Shingle StyleLATE 19TH & 20TH CENTURY REVIVALS: Late Gothic RevivalMaterials: (enter categories from instructions.)Principal exterior materials of the property: Stone, plaster, and woodNarrative Description(Describe the historic and current physical appearance and condition of the property. Describecontributing and noncontributing resources if applicable. Begin with a summary paragraph thatbriefly describes the general characteristics of the property, such as its location, type, style,method of construction, setting, size, and significant features. Indicate whether the property hashistoric integrity.)Summary ParagraphChurch of the Epiphany is a one story 6,364 square foot double-high building that occupies arectangular lot of 0.18 acres in a residential neighborhood. Built nearly to the property line on allsides of the parcel, the single integrated building began with a chapel constructed in 1888 in theShingle Style. The chapel choir, sacristy, and parish hall addition was constructed in 1900-01 inthe Late Gothic Revival style, as was the church sanctuary addition in 1913-14. The mainpedestrian entrance to the building is located at the northwest corner. Secondary and tertiarypedestrian entrances are located at the center and eastern end of the north elevation of thesanctuary. The property has no vehicular entrance. Church of the Epiphany retains sufficientintegrity of location, design, setting, materials, workmanship, feeling, and association to conveyits significance.Narrative DescriptionChurch of the Epiphany occupies a corner parcel in a residential community composed of singlefamily residences from the late 1800s and early 1900s. The neighborhood includes modest, nonarchitect designed residences in the Victorian, Arts and Crafts, and Period Revival styles. Theneighborhood largely retains its historic character as evidenced by the establishment of a HistoricSection 7 page 4

United States Department of the InteriorNational Park Service / National Register of Historic Places Registration FormNPS Form 10-900OMB No. 1024-0018Church of the EpiphanyLos Angeles, CaliforniaName of PropertyCounty and StatePreservation Overlay Zone by the City of Los Angeles in 2004. 1 Although the neighborhood hasexperienced some in-fill development, largely in the form of multi-family residential apartmentbuildings, these interventions are relatively few in number.The chapel is a one-story, double-high 29’ x 55’ rectangular volume located at the northeastcorner of the property. It is set back from the curb by a narrow landscaped strip, sidewalk, andnarrow asphalt strip. The building is constructed of irregularly shaped rusticated stone, wood,and wood shingles. According to the Historic Structures Report, the west façade of the chapelwas originally clad in wooden shiplap siding in anticipation of the expansion. 2 On the west, thechapel abuts the two-story triple-high, 29’ wide by 50’ deep chapel choir, sacristy, and parishhall addition with a pyramidal roof reaching 50’ high. 3 To the west of the first additioncompleted in 1901, a one-story, double-high 54’ x 48’ rectangular sanctuary addition was madein 1913-14. At the time of the sanctuary addition, the architect integrated the design of the twochapel additions in a common aesthetic and common architectural language. The net effect of thesecond addition was to relocate the church’s main entrance from Altura Street to Sichel Street.Church of the Epiphany is rectangular in plan, composed of wood, stone, and plasterconstruction. Exterior wall cladding consists of unadorned cement plaster above a sloping graniteveneer wainscot. The main/west façade is asymmetrical in design with the double-height 37-foothigh gabled sanctuary flanked to the north by a rectangular vestibule volume with a tile-cladpyramidal roof with wooden finial. The vestibule contains a brick pointed-arch entry portal withtwo wooden-plank double doors with fixed-pane, diamonded-patterned leaded windows leadinginto the sanctuary, poured-in-place terrazzo steps and wrought iron gate. A single plank woodendoor with decorative metalwork leads from the vestibule to the porch on the north elevation ofthe building. 4 The sanctuary roof is clad in asphalt shingles.A pyramidal roofed, triple-height, square volume sits at the rear of the sanctuary. It has a clay tileroof with a wooden cross at its pinnacle. A decorative trefoil-design wooden balustrade crestingdetail originally graced the roof perimeter of the rectangular volumes.The west/main façade is dominated by five large crocketed pointed-arched stained-glasswindows with lancet bar tracery in a pointed-arched gothic surround symmetrically located underthe gable roof. The large crocketed pointed-arched window is flanked by two smaller crocketedpointed-arched stained-glass windows. All windows (except for one) have protective plexiglasssheets nailed/screwed onto the exterior wooden frames. A strip of three small leaded, clear-glass,crocketed pointed-arched windows in a wooden frame are centered over the arched entry portal.Two pairs of square vents with metal crossbars are located in the stone at ground level.City of Los Angeles, Office of Historic Resources, Lincoln Heights, ghts (accessed June 11, 2019).2Mel Green, John Griswold, David Judson, Biana Siege, and Thomas Michali, Church of the Epiphany HistoricStructure and Conservation Plan, Los Angeles, CA: Getty Trust, October 4, 2007), 10.3Ibid., 11.4The decorative metalwork on the door, the wrought-iron entrance gate, and windows in the vestibule were giftsfrom the Young People’s Society in 1914, based on a plaque above the door.1Section 7 page 5

United States Department of the InteriorNational Park Service / National Register of Historic Places Registration FormNPS Form 10-900OMB No. 1024-0018Church of the EpiphanyLos Angeles, CaliforniaName of PropertyCounty and StateAt the southern end of the main/west façade is a non-historic wrought-iron gate and concretepathway leading to wooden steps, a wooden handrail, and a single wooden door set in theplaster-clad chapel volume.The north/secondary elevation of Church of the Epiphany features unadorned cement plaster wallcladding and granite wainscot veneer with an asymmetrically located gable roof between theambulatory and sanctuary entry doors. The triple-height plaster-clad tower is located at theeastern end of the sanctuary addition. A raised 20’ long granite stone, concrete and woodcovered cloister connects the chapel with the northwest tower via eleven wooden posts and nonhistoric, wrought-iron security bars and security gate. Five pointed-arched, multi-lite woodwindows with historic stained glass panels set in an arched tracery pattern at the top are on thefirst floor level. Three of these windows have three casement type panels below the archedwindows. A pair of gothic pointed-arched multi-lite wood windows with clear glass panels set inan arched tracery pattern are symmetrically located at the second floor and one pair is located inthe vestibule tower at the northwest corner of the building. Two pairs of gothic pointed-archedmulti-lite wood windows with clear glass are located in the triple height tower. A three-storychimney is visible on the choir and sacristy addition. 5 Tertiary sanctuary entrance doors underthe cloister on the north façade are a pair of tongue and groove plank wooden doors with a singleleaded glass diamond pattern. A late twentieth century glass panel door with security screensleads to the main office/hallway entrance. Four vents with wrought-iron bars punctuate the stoneporch at ground level. A concrete and metal-railed ADA accessibility ramp installed in 2013 isperpendicularly located at the west end of the cloistered porch. A small, cross-topped metal bellis suspended from a wooden bracket above the roofline. A round concrete orb on a pedestal sitsjust south of concrete steps on the west end of the north façade.The east end of the north elevation incorporates what used to be the main/north façade of thechapel its symmetrical sandstone buttresses. The sandstone veneer wainscot is composed of splitface squared stones that have been tooled at window surrounds. The main façade also featuresfive single, fixed-pane wood casement windows with an over-scaled round wooden window oroculus centered under the steeply pitched gabled roof. Shingles in a decorative circularcomposition surround the oculus. The roof is clad in green asphalt shingles, installed circa 1992,replacing the original wood shingles.The south elevation features the same unadorned cement plaster wall cladding and granitewainscot as other elevations. Four pointed-arched multi-lite wood windows with historic stainedglass panels set in an arched tracery pattern with three casement type panels are located on thefirst floor level along with one pointed-arched multi-lite wood window with clear glass panels setin an arched tracery pattern with three casement type panels. Two pairs of pointed-arched multilite wood windows with historic stained glass panels set in an arched tracery pattern aresymmetrically located in the triple-height tower. Two asymmetrically placed window openingspunctuate the stone porch at ground level, as do five small vents with metal bars. One of theThe chimney appears to have provided ventilation for early twentieth century heating equipment located in thebasement—likely some kind of boiler.5Section 7 page 6

United States Department of the InteriorNational Park Service / National Register of Historic Places Registration FormNPS Form 10-900OMB No. 1024-0018Church of the EpiphanyLos Angeles, CaliforniaName of PropertyCounty and Statewindow openings has been transformed into a non-original below-grade basement entrance doorand the other window has been blocked-off by the non-original, wooden rear chapel entrancestairs. The eastern end of the south elevation incorporates the plaster-clad south elevation of thechapel. Beneath the gable, a round, replacement single, fixed-paned window is flanked by tworectangular, replacement single fixed-paned windows, possibly part of unspecified alterations inthe 1960s or those associated with repairs in 1983-84 after a kitchen fire.The east elevatio